Friday, August 29, 2008

Day four... The speech

I woke up around 6:00am, because I had to get to Invesco Field by 7:00am. My volunteer spot was awesome. I was in charge of getting delegates with disabilities to the floor. The floor is where the delegates all stay, and last night that meant the actual field of Mile High Stadium. One thing I was real worried about was the possibility of rain, but the skies were clear the entire day. While getting to the floor, I saw multiple celebrities including, Rosario Dawson, Fezz (Don't know his real name,) Wolf Blitzer, and a few other TV hosts. I also was in the middle of many of the most powerful people in our state and country.

I did not get to stay on the floor during the speech, but I did get to stay on the mdeia ledge of the thrid level terrace. The seat was great, and I was ready to watch history unfold before my eyes. Dick Durbin, the senior Senator from Illinois and Springfield native, introduced Barack to the crowd. He spoke of a man of intergrity, and someone that is ready to lead. When Obama came out he was surronded by 90,000 of his closest friends. He delivered a firey speech that including policy and inspiration. He finally went after McCain for using cheap attacks about patriotism. I persionally was glad that he did this. John Kerry allowed the Republicans to destroy a top notch military record with little response. Barack Obama will not allow this to happen, which means Karl rove may be out of a job. Obama's nomination also came on a historic night, the forty-fifth anniversary of the "I have a dream" speech. Today the dream has not quite been fulfilled, but Barack Obama brought it one step closer.

In closing, this convention was fantastic. So, to everyone reading this, get involved! There are great political clubs on campus, and they all will be joining together to have a voter registration drive. Democracy only works when there is a healthy debate and involvment by citizens. Lastly, if you can make it to the convention in 2012... DO IT!

No comments: