Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day two... I got in!


Above: Senator Hillary Clinton celebrating the 88th anniversary of women getting the right to vote
Below: Keynot Speaker fmr. Gov. Mark Warner of Virginia

Lilly Ledbetter

Head of Illinois Veteran's Administration Tammy Duckworth at the women's caucus

Three UIS students sneak into a Wisconsin party at Coors Field


David Shustter speaking with Chris Matthews at the live Hardball set downtown

Tom Brokaw!!!

Lobby of the Marriott Hotel (Illinois Delegation)

Day two started with the Illinois delegation breakfast in the lower lobby of the Marriott hotel. This breakfast happens every morning, and is open to anyone in the delegation. At today's breakfast Mayor Daley, Congressman Hare, and Senate President Jones were among a few of the speakers. After the breakfast I left for the convention center. Here I met up with Mike and Renee a the College Democrats of America forum on diversity. We left shortly after that ended to go to the women's caucus. Here we were able to listen to a multitude of speakers speaking about women's issues. They ranged from health care to choice issues to equal pay for equal work. All of which I agree with the caucus on. I then went to the hotel to take a nap, because these past two days have been incredibly tiring.

At 4:00pm I was woken by the best phone call of my life. Rep. Hare's Chief of Staff had found a credential for me. Credentials are what get you into the Pepsi Center to hear speakers. This was my high hope for the convention to get in, although I was not expecting it. So, by 4:15pm I was on a shuttle to the Pepsi Center. Once I arrived and got seated, I was able to see a great lineup of speakers. This lineup included Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Chicago), Gov. Mark Warner (Virginia), Gov. Brian Schweitzer (Montana), Majority Leader Rep. Steny Hoyer (Maryland), and of course Senator Hillary Clinton (New York).

I want to quickly expound upon two of the sepakers. The first I have not yet mentioned, Lilly Ledbetter. Lilly worked with Goodyear Tire in Alabama for 20 years. Near the end of her career she found solid evidence that her male coworkers were being paid more for the exact same job. She took Goodyear to court, and won. Goodyear appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, where she lost in a 5-4 ruling. People seem to forget that the Supreme Court is an important part of picking a President. If John McCain is elected there will be more conservative judges appointed, and he has promised to appoint only judges that believe in overturning Roe v. Wade. This is important, and everyone should pay attention.

Next, Hillary Clinton. Now, ask anyone from UIS College Dems my opinion of Hillary Clinton, extreme dislike would be an understatement. However, tonight she hit all the right notes. She spoke about her own historic campaign while at the same time fully endorsing Barack Obama. She also echoed what we heard at the women's caucus, that it is important for Hillary supporters to vote for Obama and not McCain. Mainly because McCain does not share any of the values of Hillary Clinton. By the end of her speech even I was waving a Hillary sign.

Tomorrow starts my volunteering portion of the convention. I have to be at Invesco Field by 8:00am. So, I am off to bed, but I do have a few pictures from the past two days up.

No comments: