Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My first day...

WOW! Today was incredible. I will say though that it is 1:30am, and I am tired. So, pictures will have to be added at a later time, but I will give you a brief run down of my day.

Remember I am not set to volunteer until Wednesday and Thursday at Invesco Field for the acceptance speech. So, today I got into Denver off of Amtrak around 9am. The moment I got off the train I could feel the electric atmosphere. While standing in the lobby of the hotel I ran into multiple elected officials from Illinois, including Senate President Emil Jones, Congressman Phil Hare, Senator Mike Jacobs, and Secretary of State Jesse White. This is the point where I would again stress that you should all join the college political club that agrees with you. I have helped many of these officials before, and have worked on their campaigns. So, some recognized me, and helped me get on my way.

I then walked down to the convention center, and walked through the building. Meeting Terry McAuliff, former Chair of the DNC, and Tom Brokaw. I was able to get a book signed by each. I then met up with Mike Ziri, the President of UIS College Democrats, we wondered about and found a youth faith forum to sit in on. I left Mike at the convention center and went downtown where MSNBC was broadcasting "Hardball" live from behind Union Station. Amongst Obama and Clinton supporters I cheered my heart out, and got on TV for it.

I then met up with fellow UIS blogger Renee Rathjen, and we went to a viewing party for the convention. It is important to note that only delegates and guests can get into the Pepsi Center, where all the speeches happen. The Illinois delegation is doing a lottery for extra tickets, so cross your fingers for me to get some. Anyway, Michelle Obama gave an amazing keynote speech for the first day. YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT IF YOU DIDN'T SEE IT. Regardless of political affiliation, I think it is an important speech to watch.

A big part of the DNC is the parties, and Mike, Renee, and I were able to go to three tonight. The first was a dessert reception hosted by Representative Curry, the Majority Leader of the Illinois House. After that I was able to get into a Wisconsin delegation party at Coors' Field. Finally, I ended the night at a reception put on by Senator Dick Durbin and Congressman Rahm Emanuel. These events are important for networking and lobbying. I spoke with the other University of Illinois Trustee that is in Denver, Dr. Carroll. She commended UIS for being rated the number one Graduate school in Illinois. Also, I was able to speak at some length with other members of the Illinois delegation about UIS. We may be a small school, but we are starting to build quite a reputation.

I will try to elaborate on this post later, but again it is getting late and I have a breakfast at 8am. I will also be posting photos later. Good night.

No comments: